At Epic, where I work, quotes can be found all around. Our internal website Guru, which incidentally is managed by my friend Alex Meyer, features a different quote each morning (I’ve added many since I started). The quote is notable because it is the first thing one sees, at the very top of the page. Our back-end system which is used by customer analysts as well as Epic’s support staff, also features famous quotes. The quotes in Chronicles, our database system which Judy the company’s CEO created in 1979 shows a different quote each time a user accesses a different database.
The quotes in Chronicles are particularly noteworthy due to the sparsity of the system. In 1979, there was no dazzling space animations as the user logs in to the system. In 1979, there was significantly less focus on user interface, especially considering thiswas essentially a . And yet nonetheless, Judy found it important enough to set aside time to build this quotes list and feature it upon accessing any database.
It’s so important in fact, each of our ~300 customers must talk to Judy if they want to turn off the quotes in Chronicles. Judy feels the quotes add culture, and so do I.
As such, I simply want to provide a list of quotes I’ve found intriguing and valuable. I’ll add to these as life goes on and I hope that you can find value and appreciate some of the messages they deliver. If you have any quotes you’d like to add please leave them in the comments!
- In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.
- Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
- The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
- Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted.
- Energy and persistence conquer all things.
- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be found.
- and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
- A journey of one thousand miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
- You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.
- Work hard and be kind, and amazing things will happen.
- Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.
- You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
- No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor
- Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
- For Sale-Baby shoes, never worn.
- We burn the fat off our souls.
- Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re right.
- Fall down seven times and stand up eight.
- Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all.
- Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.
- If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, or do more, you are a leader.
- Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.
- I have never let schooling interfere with my education.
- If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.
- Buy land-they’re not making it anymore.
- The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
- The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
- I find that when you have a real interest in life, and a curious life, that sleep is not the most important thing.
- I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
- Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
- The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.
- If people aren’t calling you crazy, you aren’t thinking big enough.
- Don’t ask me how to get started, it’s all uncharted.
- The only way to do great work is to love what you do.
- The best things in life don’t cost any money. It’s really clear that the most precious resource we all have is time.
- I have not failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.
- Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.
- Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
- Any time not spent on love is wasted.
- You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
- Be thankful we’re not getting all the government we’re paying for.